2014 was a challenging year for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive program. Providers began participating in Stage 2 of the program, new requirements to meet Meaningful Use were rolled out, and the requirements around EHR certification changed.
While there will be no significant changes in 2015, there are a number of items participating providers will need to be aware of.
- The requirements to meet CMS Meaningful Use are the same as in 2014. In 2014, a number of new objectives were introduced. There are no new objectives in 2015 that providers need to be aware of.
- With the exception of first time attesters – providers must report on a full year of usage. This means your EHR reporting period begins January 1, 2015 so be sure your office is aware of the requirements and meeting them from the start of the year. Online training is available for Care360 clients by simply clicking the help link found within Care360 and following the online training links.
- All eligible providers are required to use 2014 Certified Electronic Health Record Technology (CEHRT). Care360 EHR is 2014 ONC Certified and can be used to meet the Stage 1 and Stage 2 requirements.
- Medicare is no longer accepting new providers to the incentive program starting in 2015. While no incentives are available, Medicare providers who do not meet the requirements will be subject to payment adjustments.
- The Medicaid Incentive program is still open for new participants through 2016. First time participants can collect $21,500 for adopting, implementing, upgrading or using an EHR. You can learn more about the Medicaid program by viewing this PDF from CMS.
- Hardship exceptions will still be available for providers who are unable to participate in the program. You can learn more on the CMS website at http://cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Legislation/EHRIncentivePrograms/PaymentAdj_Hardship.html.
- During 2015, providers will be meeting either Stage 1 or Stage 2 requirements.
- If you started participating in 2011, 2012 or 2013, you will be in Stage 2 during 2015.
- If you started participating in 2014 or are just starting, you will be in Stage 1 during 2015.
To learn more about the CMS EHR Incentive program, view educational materials, register for the program and attest please visit http://www.cms.gov/EHRIncentivePrograms/
If you would like to learn more about how Care360 EHR can help in your practice, call us at 888-835-3409 or visit Care360.com.
Note: This article was published on 11/20/2014. All the information in this article is based on the current regulations.